Wow....you know you are currently enrolled in a dysphagia class when....
1. You choke on a Werther's Original and the first thing that runs through your head is "Oh gosh! What are the techniques I learned in class to remove residue from my pharynx?? If I don't hurry it'll go into my lungs....rot....and I might get aspiration pneumonia [aka lung infection caused by breathing foreign materials into the lungs]. Normally one would just cough and that would be the end of it.
2. Everytime you take a drink of McAlister's sweet tea you are narrating to yourself "swallowing 3 tablespoon thin liquid." This is probably a result of watching/analyzing way too many swallowing videos in preparation for projects and test day. Normally one would just appreciate the amazingness of the tea.
3. You are snacking while cooking dinner and you flip out when your eyes start watering. Your thought process is "watering eyes=a sign of silent aspiration" [aka when food goes into the airway you don't reflexively cough to get it out]....you totally disregard the fact that you are also cutting an ONION to go in your caserole.
Summary: There is always something to be thankful for....right now I am thankful for a normal swallow. It sounds a little odd, I know. But I can't say I've ever 'given thanks' for a normal swallow until this semester! Go Dysphagia!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment